Author 'G.b.45' (Id 205193 ) : The basilica of Saint-Eutrope is one of the major catholic shrines of the city of Saintes, in the department of Charente-Maritime and the diocese of La Rochelle and Saintes. On may 11, 1886, an apostolic brief of pope Leo XIII erected the church into a basilica mineure1.
Founded in 1081, at the instigation of the duke of Aquitaine and count of Poitou Guillaume VIII, consecrated by pope Urban II in 1096, it honors st. Eutropius, martyr, first bishop and evangelizer of the region. His tomb, deposited in the crypt, is visited since then by many pilgrims en route to Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle. The revolution causes the closure of the priory.
The church, considered as aging is reduced to its nave in 1803.