Author 'Charly' (Id 130965 ) : "From 1908 to 1954, train service Chamonix Mont-Blanc Montenvers Mer de Glace was provided by 8 steam locomotives. These locomotives built rack in Winterthur, Switzerland, weighing 22 tons in running order developed 250CV. They grew on line ramp of 22%, 2 passenger cars at a speed of 8km / h. The journey time was 53 minutes, including stops en route for water intake. These locomotives consumed 400kg of coal per trip. Each train consisted of two passenger carriages with 60 seats, one closed and one open (with first class compartments whose seats were covered with red velvet and 2nd class compartments with wooden benches) The electrical service replacement was launched in late August 1954. "(Information taken on the platen of the locomotive) In the background a driving electric current. They are red now.