Author 'Nicoledesplat' (Id 118369 ) : Yvelines (78) Francis first settles first castle without anything. In 1539, he knocked down the old building and build another on the foundations established under Charles V. After his death in 1547, his son Henry II continues the work following the same plans. Pierre Chambiges lead work. In 1559, the castle has a total area of 8000 m2. There are 55 house, a ballroom, seven chapels, a kitchen. The basement contains a vaulted dungeon prison. The current Castle Square 5 buildings (the outbuildings) is the backyard. At the bottom of the moat, dry, has built a tennis court. Henry II built at the end of the existing terrace, the "New Castle" that end Henry IV. The reigns of Henri IV and Louis XIII to see what is now known as "Old Castle" left to the royal children and their servants. The case of poisons are largely set in St Germain. 1682 King Louis XIV in Versailles left the place.